July 15 , 2015
GIANT Customer Service
GIANT/MARTIN’S MAKES IT FARM FRESH AND EASY WITH BOUNTY OF LOCAL PRODUCE Works with 67 local farms to bring local flavor to customers
Carlisle, PA – GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets is making it farm fresh and easy for its customers by providing an abundance of locally grown, farm fresh produce. While customers can find many local products in GIANT/MARTIN’S stores anytime, the summer months bring “in season” produce grown at nearby farms.
GIANT/MARTIN’S brings farm fresh produce right to customers’ carts by working with 67 local farms throughout the summer. Among the local produce items currently in season and available at GIANT/MARTIN’S are cucumbers, corn, mushrooms, onions, peppers, potatoes, squash and strawberries.
“Fresh local produce is the perfect complement to our summer grilling favorites and we save time for our customers by bringing the farm into our store this season,” said Sarah Glunz, lead nutritionist, GIANT/MARTIN’S. “We embrace our responsibility to support our local economy by offering customers the widest selection of locally grown fruits and vegetables as possible.”
Making it easy for customers, the farm name and location will be displayed on in- store signage. For customers who want to know more, inspirational “Buy Local” features can be found on GIANT or MARTIN’S websites, including videos, recipes and a list of local growers. In addition, back by popular-demand, all GIANT/MARTIN’S stores will feature a fun, interactive cutout in the produce department where customers are encouraged to take a “farm fresh selfie.”
Stumped on how to enjoy the bounty of fresh local produce? GIANT/MARTIN’S nutritionists offer several tips for incorporating local produce into your summer grilling and meal planning. Check out their five favorites for consuming more local produce this season:
- Skip the sugary drinks and opt for refreshing fruit infused water. Add your favorite fruits or veggies to water; refrigerate for a few hours before serving to enhance flavor. Try this delicious combination: fresh cut strawberries, kiwi, and basil.
- Fruit kabobs are fun and easy. Skewer chunks of pineapple, watermelon, and strawberries. Grill over medium-heat for 10 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Tomatoes are at their best this time of year. For a quick summer dinner; layer juicy sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil on a toasted whole grain roll. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and a balsamic glaze, for a savory meatless meal.
- Peaches are great on the grill. Cut the peach in half, remove pit, and lightly brush cut side with olive oil. Place on the grill, cut side down and remove once grill marks appear and peaches are slightly tender. Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla Greek yogurt.
- With sweet corn at its peak in the summer, go beyond just corn on the cob. Make corn salsa with black beans, healthier corn bread, corn "cakes" or toss in your salad for a little sweet crunch. Corn adds fiber to your dishes which helps keep you full. Remember when meal planning, corn is a starchy veggie so be sure to include non- starchy veggies as well.
Founded in 1923 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 33,000 associates and is a division of Ahold USA. In addition to working with hundreds of local and regional organizations annually, GIANT/MARTIN’S has a long-standing focus on efforts to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children. GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The company was also recognized as 2015 Chain Retailer of the Year by Grocery Headquarters. For more information visit GIANT or MARTIN'S websites. Find GIANT and MARTIN'S on Facebook and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.