February 21, 2013
GIANT & MARTIN’S ACHIEVE RECORD-BREAKING DONATIONS IN 2012
More than $25 million donated back to local communities served
Carlisle, PA – As the company embarks on its 90th anniversary, officials from GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets today announced that charitable donations made in 2012 as part of the companies’ “Living Here, Giving Here” program totaled $25,330,000 in combined cash and product contributions, the largest ever to date. GIANT/MARTIN’S is a proud supporter of approximately 100 local hunger relief organizations, eight Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, more than 2,500 schools, 40 United Way agencies, several local USO Chapters, the Wounded Warrior Project, and hundreds of local non-profit groups.
“Thank you to everyone who helped us to achieve this ‘Living Here, Giving Here’ milestone of $25 million. We are proud to work with our customers, associates and vendors in building healthier communities everywhere we operate,” said Rick Herring, president. “As we celebrate our 90th anniversary this year, you can count on GIANT/MARTIN’S to remain part of the fabric of our local communities, and we will continue our strong commitment to local causes supporting hunger relief and improving the lives of children.”
Here are the major highlights of GIANT/MARTIN’S community giving programs in 2012:
- Regional Food Banks – In 2012, nearly 100 regional food banks and local pantries across four states received $10 million in product, customer, vendor, and corporate donations. Food donation programs provided over $8 million in meat and bakery items, equating to hundreds of thousands of pounds of food to assist struggling families. Significant among these food donation programs was “Meat the Needs”, where the company freezes meat that would otherwise go unsold and donates it to regional food banks. Generous customers contributed $1.25 million during two Bag Hunger in-store campaigns. Among other efforts, GIANT/MARTIN’S continued its tradition of delivering turkeys to food banks during the holiday season.
“I cannot emphasize enough how important the GIANT/MARTIN’S frozen meat donation program is to enriching the array of nutritious food we provide to our community partners serving food-insecure Central Pennsylvanians,” said Joe Arthur, Executive Director of the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank. “GIANT/MARTIN’S frozen meat program has been a game changer for people in need in our communities….and everyone involved is doubly thankful that this wonderful food is being shared at dinner tables rather than going to waste.”
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (CMN) – Over the past 17 years, GIANT/MARTIN’S has donated more than $28 million to support seven CMN hospitals in local communities it serves. In 2012, a total of $3.1 million was donated to assist CMN hospitals in providing medical care, life-saving research, and preventative education to help millions of kids overcome diseases and injuries. GIANT/MARTIN’S is counted among the Top 10 fundraisers for CMN in the country.
- Local Schools – Through GIANT/MARTIN’S A+ School Rewards program, more than 2,500 public and private schools received $3 million to help fund scholarship programs, technology initiatives, sports equipment, and other educational needs. Since launching the program in 2005, more than $13 million has been donated to thousands of local schools. For a complete listing of schools, please visit www.giantaplus.com or www.martinsaplus.com.
- Local Community Support – In 2012, GIANT/MARTIN’S committed more than $7 million in contributions to local community groups and various nonprofit organizations throughout its market area, impacting tens of thousands of individuals and families.
- Troop Support – The grocers’ annual “Support Our Troops” in-store campaign, which benefits regional USOs and the Wounded Warriors Project, an organization that helps severely injured service members aid and assist each other raised $450,000 in 2012. For the second year, GIANT/MARTIN’S also partnered with the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, hosting toy collection bins at all stores.
- United Way – Associate and corporate contributions to more than 40 local United Way agencies totaled more than $1 million in 2012.
- MS Society – GIANT/MARTIN’S continues to be a proud supporter of the MS Society and was the #1 MS Walk team in the country for the ninth consecutive year. More than $140,000 was raised by enthusiastic associates for local MS chapters.
- Little Leagues - Understanding the importance of sports and exercise among kids, GIANT/MARTIN’S was a proud sponsor of more than 100 Little League teams in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia.
In addition to financial support, GIANT/MARTIN’S associates at both the store and corporate level also volunteered their time with various community and nonprofit organizations. In 2011, GIANT/MARTIN’S customers, associates, and vendors contributed $20.6 million to support “Living Here, Giving Here” charitable programs. GIANT/MARTIN’S will continue its strong commitment to the communities it serves as it celebrates its 90th anniversary in 2013 with special events, community donations, anniversary promotions, and in-store celebrations.
Celebrating its 90th anniversary in 2013, GIANT/MARTIN’S, headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods.