February 26, 2013
GIANT FOOD STORE OPENS NEW KUTZTOWN STORE
Introduces customers to quality, selection, and savings and adds 150 jobs to local community
Kutztown, PA – GIANT Food Stores opens the doors of its brand new Kutztown location tomorrow Wednesday, February 27 at 8:00 a.m. The new 50,000 square foot store is located at 15100 Kutztown Road. Open 24 hours daily, the Kutztown GIANT employs 152 full and part time associates.
“We are thrilled to join the Kutztown community and are looking forward to showcasing our combination of quality, selection, and savings to our new neighbors,” said Steve Bowlby, store manager. “In addition to a variety of new products, customers will also find convenient on-site amenities like a fuel station, which provides savings plus a one-stop shopping experience.”
The Kutztown GIANT features the company’s newest format and store layout, anchored by a vast perishable hall. The fresh perishable departments such as produce, deli, bakery, meat and seafood all come into view as customers enter the store. The fresh lineup includes:
- Market Fresh Produce – in addition to the bountiful assortment of fresh and locally-grown fruits and vegetables, this vibrant department also features a variety of fresh organic produce items and a salad bar.
- Butcher Shoppe and Seafood Market – features Certified Angus Beef, 100%
- U.S.D.A. Choice Grade Beef, All-Natural Hatfield Pork, and Grade A Chicken and offers a vast selection of steaks, filets and shellfish. The Kutztown store also has a lobster tank and steamer service.
- Market Square Deli – brings the freshest assortment of deli meats, including Boar’s Head products and a world-class assortment of cheeses and specialty cheeses. Customers will also find ready-to-eat sandwiches, salads, GIANT’s signature fried chicken, fresh (never frozen) rotisserie chicken, pasta, soups and entrees.
- Corner Bakery Shoppe – located deep in the store’s perishable hall, the bakery features GIANT’s award-winning cakes and desserts, Old World artisan breads, and delicious donuts.
- WiFi Café – customers can relax and enjoy the cozy WiFi Café with free WiFi and tables for dining.
- Customer Service Area – designed to meet customer needs and offers many services, including Western Union, RedBox DVD rentals, money orders, ATM, lottery tickets and postage stamps.
Health and Wellness
With its new Kutztown location, GIANT continues its strong commitment to providing choices and products to its customers to achieve healthier lifestyles. An assortment of more than 2,500 natural and organic products is available in a dedicated section called Nature’s Promise Marketplace. This section also features a gluten-free product area for customers on gluten-free diets. Thousands of GIANT’s own brand and national brand perishable and nonperishable products feature GIANT’s exclusive Healthy IdeasTM product labeling system. Blue and green Healthy Ideas shelf tags help customers identify healthy options as they shop the aisles. In addition to healthy products, GIANT offers customers a variety of in-store healthy solutions. Healthy Ideas Magazine, a free 32-page health and wellness publication focused on healthy living as it pertains to food, is available quarterly to GIANT customers.
Customer Friendly Technology
Kutztown customers can utilize GIANT’s state-of-the-art technology for added convenience. The award-winning Shopping Solutions kiosks, which are conveniently located throughout the store, enable customers to use the interactive touch-screen to check personalized BonusCard savings offers, print off coupons, locate an item in the store, and place a deli or Great Entertaining party tray order. Customers also have more than 2,500 tasty recipes at their fingertips that can be printed directly from the Shopping Solutions kiosks.
EasyScan allows customers to utilize one of five self-scanning units to expedite the checkout process. EasyWeigh enables customers to weigh their produce, bulk food and other items making checkout quicker and easier.
Onsite Fuel & Savings
The aforementioned fuel pumps are located right outside of the new GIANT where customers can save more every time they fill up their gas tank with Gas Extra Rewards. For every $100 spent on food purchases using a BonusCard, customers receive 10 cents off per gallon of gas during promotional periods. The current promotion allows customers to earn and redeem points now through March 16. Points can be earned at any GIANT Food Store and redeemed at any GIANT fuel station.
The Kutztown GIANT, which is pursuing LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), has been constructed with innovative building technologies to reduce energy consumption and the environmental impact of operations. Skylights have been installed to reduce electricity consumption during peak daylight hours when some of the store’s overhead lights will be cycled off. LED lighting is also used in many areas of the store, including overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in frozen food cases. LED lights are longer-lasting and are expected to reduce wattage by half. In addition, low emissivity glass has been installed on windows, reducing energy loss by as much as 30-50%. Warm concrete floors have replaced traditional tile, reducing the amount of cleaning solutions normally utilized.
GIANT celebrated the opening of its newest store by giving $5,000 in donations to the following local organizations in a special presentation on February 26 at the store:
- Camp Cadet Troop L
- Friend Inc. Community Services
- Kutztown Area School District
- Kutztown Fire Company No. 1
- Kutztown University Foundation
“GIANT has a long history of living and giving in the communities it serves, supporting hunger relief organizations, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, and important local organizations that help build healthier communities,” said Bowlby.
Grand Opening Festivities In celebration of the grand opening, Kutztown customers can enjoy special grand opening savings, in-store entertainment, and giveaways over the next few weeks:
- Grand Opening Day, February 27 from 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. enjoy the antics of Avalanche, Kutztown University’s Mascot and the music of Kutztown University’s Jazz Ensemble.
- Grand Opening Day, February 27 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. meet Kellogg’s iconic
Tony the Tiger as he shows off his stripes.
- Join Tootsee the Clown and Friends on March 2 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. as she walks the store making animal balloon sculptures for children.
- Test your NASCAR driving skills on March 3, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. when the Kellogg’s NASCAR Picture Car and Tire Change Simulator.
- Ferrous, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs Mascot makes his Kutztown GIANT debut on March 3 from Noon – 1 p.m.
- Celebrate March Madness with special basketball giveaways to children throughout the March 9 - March 10 weekend.
Berks County Heritage
GIANT Food Stores has deep roots in Pennsylvania, founded 90 years ago in Carlisle. Today, GIANT is the third largest private sector employer in The Commonwealth, employing more than 25,000 Pennsylvanians statewide, including 1,021 in Berks County. The Kutztown store is the 199th store, and the seventh GIANT to open in Berks County since 1985.
Celebrating its 90th anniversary in 2013, GIANT/MARTIN’S, headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets.
GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods.