April 10, 2014
ENJOY AN “EGG-CELLENT” SPRING HOLIDAY WITH SAFETY TIPS FROM GIANT & MARTIN’S
Carlisle, PA – Whether you will be enjoying a brunch and jelly beans or participating in a traditional Seder, eggs play a role in both Easter and Passover celebrations. To make sure your next holiday is an “egg-stra” safe one, GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets are offering several egg handling tips to keep top of mind during your preparations.
- While at the store, choose Grade A or AA eggs with clean, un-cracked shells.
- Take eggs straight home and store them immediately in a refrigerator set at 40 degrees F or slightly below. Be sure to keep them in the grocery carton and store in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the door.
- Don’t eat raw eggs.
- Use raw shell eggs within 3 to 5 weeks of purchase. Hard-boiled eggs will keep refrigerated for 7-10 days.
- Wash hands, utensils, dishes, and work areas with warm, soapy water before and after contact with eggs.
- Don’t keep any eggs out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. Eggs kept at room temperature for more than two hours become susceptible to bacterial growth.
- Eggs should be cooked thoroughly until yolks are firm. For hard-boiled eggs, cover eggs in a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover and then let stand for a half hour.
- When coloring hard-boiled eggs, check and make sure there are no cracks. If you plan to eat your dyed eggs, use food coloring or specially made food-grade egg dyes. Discard any eggs that crack during dyeing or have not been refrigerated for more than two hours.
- If roasting an egg for your Passover Seder, first hard-boil it, then using tongs, hold it over a gas burner or candle flame.
If you prefer the chocolate variety when it comes to eggs, GIANT/MARTIN’S is also sharing a fun recipe for their chocolate peanut butter eggs!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
- 1 ½ cups GIANT/MARTIN’S brand creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup GIANT/MARTIN’S brand butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon GIANT/MARTIN’S brand vanilla extract
- 3 cups GIANT/MARTIN’S brand powdered sugar
- 12 ounces GIANT/MARTIN’S brand semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons GIANT/MARTIN’S brand vegetable oil (use only enough to create smooth chocolate)
Makes 24 eggs.
Headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.