November 6, 2014
MARTIN’S FOOD MARKETS OPENS NEW MIDLOTHIAN STORE
Features in-store nutritionist, convenient technology, fuel station and Starbucks to enhance overall shopping experience
Midlothian, VA – MARTIN’S Food Markets opens the doors of its brand new Midlothian location tomorrow Friday, November 7 at 8:00 a.m. Open 6 a.m. to 12 midnight, seven days a week, the new 74,000 square foot store is located at 200 Charter Colony Parkway in Midlothian and replaces the current MARTIN’S store located at 1220 Sycamore Square. Approximately 65 additional full and part time jobs were created to bring the total store workforce to 175.
“We are excited to open our very first new store in the Richmond community thanks to the hard work of our associates,” said Louis Luscher, store manager. “Customers will notice a brand new layout along with a wider selection of products and features for a pleasant one-stop shopping experience.”
Unique Health & Wellness Resources
With its new Midlothian location, MARTIN’S continues its strong commitment to providing choices and products to its customers to achieve healthier lifestyles. Caroline Roessler, MS, RDN has joined the store team as the Midlothian in-store nutritionist. She will be available to assist customers with questions on healthy eating, provide one-on- one nutrition consultations and teach health-related classes for both adults and kids.
“Nutrition education should be fun and food should taste great, which is why I’m here to help empower customers to make positive lifestyle changes that work for them,” said Roessler.
Private consultations with in-store nutritionist Roessler can be scheduled at the store or by calling 804-378-6057. The fee for a nutrition consultation is $20, but after completion, the customer receives a $20 MARTIN’S gift card.
The MARTIN’S Pharmacy has expert pharmacists available seven days a week to fill prescriptions and offer expert advice. As partners in good health, MARTIN’S pharmacists can administer vaccines, suggest the right over-the-counter medications and help manage prescriptions. MARTIN’S Pharmacy also accepts most major insurance plans, can fill pet prescriptions, and offers low-cost generic and name brand prescriptions.
Thousands of MARTIN’S own brand and national brand perishable and nonperishable products feature MARTIN’S exclusive Healthy IdeasTM product labeling system. Blue and green Healthy Ideas shelf tags help customers identify healthy options as they shop the aisles. In addition, an expanded assortment of more than 2,500 natural and organic products is available in a dedicated section called Nature’s Promise Marketplace. This section also features a gluten-free product area for customers on gluten-free diets.
In partnership with Bon Secours, Richmond’s first in-store health clinic will open in the new Midlothian store later this year. The Bon Secours clinic will provide retail health care without an appointment seven days a week with evening hours. Bon Secours medical providers can treat a wide range of minor ailments including colds and flu, ear infections, minor burns and rashes, sinus infections and sore throats.
The Midlothian MARTIN’S features the company’s newest format and store layout,
anchored by a vast perishable hall. The fresh perishable departments such as produce,
deli, bakery, meat and seafood all come into view as customers enter the store. The
fresh hall will include these key departments:
- Market Fresh Produce – in addition to the bountiful assortment of fresh and locally-grown fruits and vegetables, this vibrant department also features an expansive variety of fresh organic produce items and a salad bar.
- Butcher Shoppe and Seafood Market – features Certified Angus Beef, 100% U.S.D.A. Choice Grade Beef, All-Natural Hatfield Pork, and Grade A Chicken and offers a vast selection of steaks, filets and shellfish. The Midlothian store also offers a lobster tank and free steamer service.
- Market Square Deli – brings the freshest assortment of deli meats, including Boar’s Head products and a world-class assortment of cheeses and specialty cheeses. Continuing our great partnership with Ukrop’s, customers will find their favorite ready-made meals. The Deli also offers a larger assortment of ready-to- eat sandwiches, salads, fresh (never frozen) rotisserie chicken, pasta, sushi, soups and entrees.
- Corner Bakery Shoppe – located deep in the store’s perishable hall, the bakery features MARTIN’S award-winning cakes, Ukrop’s popular desserts, Old World artisan breads, and delicious donuts.
- Floral – From holiday arrangements to simple bouquets to brighten someone’s day, full-service professional florists can help.
- Starbucks – For coffee lovers, a Starbucks coffee bar is available for customers to enjoy their favorite coffee and handcrafted beverages.
- Union First Market Bank – in-store branch for customers’ financial needs.
- Chesterfield County Police Foundation
- Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Children's Hospital of Richmond Foundation
- FeedMore – Central Virginia Food Bank
- Midlothian Volunteer Fire Department
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Richmond Animal League
- Salvation Army Richmond Area Command
- Grand Opening Day, November 7 from 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. enjoy The Peppas from VCU as they bring their iconic musical sounds to the opening celebration.
- Grand Opening Day, November 7 from 8:15 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. come visit with Rodney the Ram, VCU’s favorite mascot, as he walks the store entertaining customers.
- Grand Opening Day, November 7 from 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. Nutzy from the Flying Squirrels makes a grand opening appearance.
- Saturday, November 8 from 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Broc, Vie, & Hydro from Bon Secours will walk the store entertaining customers.
- Saturday, November 8 from 11 a.m. – noon Nutzy from the Flying Squirrels will visit again.
- Saturday, November 8 from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. join Rainbow Rose The Princess Clown as she walks the store making animal balloon sculptures for children.
Outside in the store parking lot, customers will find a brand new fuel station where they can take advantage of additional savings at the pump with MARTIN’S fuelperks! program. For every $100 spent on grocery and pharmacy out-of-pocket expenses at any MARTIN’S using a BonusCard, customers receive ten cents off per gallon of gas when they fill up as part of fuelperks! Unlike other gas reward programs, MARTIN’S fuelperks! program has no maximum limit on points earned.
The store offers many other services, including Western Union, RedBox DVD rentals, money orders, ATM, lottery tickets and postage stamps.
Customer Friendly Technology
Midlothian customers can utilize MARTIN’S state-of-the-art technology for added convenience, including SCAN IT! & SCAN IT! mobile. Using either your smartphone or a SCAN IT! handheld device, just scan and bag your groceries as you shop and sail through checkout – just pay and go. With SCAN IT! & SCAN IT! mobile, customers receive exclusive, personalized offers. You can also keep track of your total as you go, making it easier to stay on budget.
In addition, free WiFi is available throughout the store to utilize MARTIN’S smartphone app when shopping.
Built with the Environment in Mind
The new Midlothian MARTIN’S, which is pursuing LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, has been constructed with innovative building technologies to reduce energy consumption and the environmental impact of operations. LED lighting is used in many interior and exterior areas of the store to significantly reduce energy needs. Warm concrete floors have replaced traditional tile, reducing the amount of cleaning solutions normally utilized.
MARTIN’S celebrated the opening of its newest store by giving $8,000 in donations to
the following local organizations in a special presentation on November 6 at the store:
“From hunger relief efforts to helping kids, we are proud of our ongoing better neighbor efforts to live and give in all of the communities we serve,” said Luscher.
Grand Opening Festivities
In celebration of the grand opening, Midlothian customers can enjoy special grand opening savings, in-store entertainment, and giveaways over the next few weeks:
Headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, GIANT/MARTIN’S operates nearly 200 grocery stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia, under the names of GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets. GIANT/MARTIN’S employs more than 31,000 associates. Founded in 1923, GIANT and MARTIN’S have a long-standing commitment to eradicate hunger and improve the quality of life for children in addition to working with hundreds of local organizations annually. The company was recognized for its leadership in the fight against hunger with the Golden Grocer Award by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In addition, GIANT/MARTIN’S is one of the top ten fund-raisers in the country for local Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. GIANT and MARTIN’S are Ahold companies. For more information visit www.GiantFoodStores.com and www.MartinsFoods.com. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/giantfoodstores and facebook.com/martinsfoods and on Twitter @GiantFoodStores or @MartinsFoodMkts.