Time to get up and get moving!
The heat is on! And so is the air conditioning. As summer approaches, we begin to regret all those indulgent foods that kept us going through the long winter months. We all want to look good for swimsuit season, but extreme diet plans are not the answer. What is the real secret? Exercise. Regular exercise not only helps you to get in shape, but also may help improve your overall health. Sure it can be challenging at first, but by setting small goals, you will be a pro in no time!
The recommendation is to get at least thirty minutes of exercise five times a week. If you haven’t exercised for a long time, start out with light activities in 10 minutes intervals by incorporating movement throughout your daily activities.
- Just like new: All those chores we have around the house can count as exercise. Cleaning, sweeping, vacuuming and even washing dishes are activities that will get your heart rate up.
- Summer fun in the sun: Plan a picnic with your family and friends and bring games to play like Frisbees, volleyballs and water balloons.
- April showers brought May flowers: Time to give your yard a makeover. Start by cutting your grass the old-fashioned way, with a push lawn mower. Pull out all the weeds, shovel the dirt and plant some new flowers.
- Learn how to salsa: Or do any other type of dance. Grab a friend and head to a local gym for dancing lessons!
- Active TV time: Keep a pair of 5 pound dumbbells by your couch for those late night TV sessions. You can also hide the remote, and get up to change the channel.
- Hydrate, exercise and be green: Carry with you two refillable water bottles to use as hand weights. If you drink all the water, just refill!
- Exercise at work: Keep an exercise ball by your desk and use it as a chair in the middle of the day. You can also create a lunchtime walking group with your coworkers.
- Squat while brushing your teeth: While you brush your teeth, do ten squats. Make sure your knees do not pass over your feet.
- For the next friends night out: Rent a workout video and invite your friends over. Ask them to dress up with a fun work-out outfit, and do the entire exercise video together
Step it up
Once you feel more comfortable, it’s time to step up your workout!
- Walk, walk, walk: Use a pedometer and set a goal of walking at least 10,000 steps every day.
- Run, run, run: Join a local jogging group. You can head to jogging.meetup.com to see jogging groups around your area.
- Over the mountains: Grab your bike and go biking through the hills. Just remember to wear a helmet.
- Join your local gym: And that doesn’t mean to exercise on your own! Gyms offer group classes such as kickboxing, yoga, aerobics, strength and core training and much more.
And always remember to write your progress and feelings after a good work out to help you stay motivated when the couch looks very cozy. Keep an exercise journal and set weekly goals to keep you going.
Winter is over so don’t let it weigh you down. Grab a friend and get out there because this is a good time to get up and get moving!