Tips for becoming physically active:
- Choose an activity that interests you. Make sure it suits you physically.
- Get an exercise partner. Exercising with someone else can make it more fun.
- Spice up your exercise daily. You may be less likely to get bored or injured if you change your routine.
- Consider activities like dancing and racquet sports, and even chores like raking leaves.
- Choose a comfortable time of day. Don't work out too soon after eating or when it's too hot or too cold outside. Stick to your regular time every day.
- Don't get discouraged. It can take weeks or months before you notice changes from exercise.
- Make exercise fun. Read, listen to music or watch TV while riding a stationary bicycle. Find fun things to do, like taking a walk through the zoo. Go dancing. Learn a new sport.
- Put exercise appointments on your calendar.
- Keep a record of daily activities and calculate how many calories you have burned.
- Give yourself an incentive to exercise or reward yourself when you meet certain goals.
If you want to make sure that you are getting at least the daily recommended amount of exercise, then take up walking, it will help improve your overall fitness and endurance levels!
Benefits of regular exercise
- Walk at least 10,000 steps a day, a pedometer can help you count every step you take. It can even become a motivator to take more steps each day.
- Park further from your work place or the shopping center
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Walk during your lunch break
- Take your pet for an extra walk each day
- Reduces your risk of disease-related illnesses such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity.
- Keeps your joints flexible.
- Reduces stress and anxiety.
- Increases your energy levels.
- Helps you maintain a normal weight and healthy BMI.
- Reduces sleepless nights.